Daniel F Louisda - Murder

ClaytonLewisBoyer Member Photo

Clipped by ClaytonLewisBoyer

Daniel F Louisda - Murder - CAPE CORAL Police say homeless man j died after...
CAPE CORAL Police say homeless man j died after fight over beer Suspect found after four-hour manhunt news-press.comgalleries BY JACOB OGLES joglesnews-press.com When Daniel Louisda moved to the woods in north Cape Coral, family said he wanted a lifestyle with no obligations. "He wanted to live that life," said mother Barbara Zaitz. The 51-year-old's carefree lifestyle came to a violent end in a fight over beer and a food card, said people who lived with Louisda in a homeless camp. Cape Coral police arrested Charles Stone IV, charging him with second-degree murder. Police found Louisda around 4:20 a.m. Friday after transient John Wrensch called 91L "I feel like I've lost a brother," transient Jeff Brown said of Louisda. Brown and Wrensch said they were with Louisda and Stone when a fight broke out at the camp, located in a wooded area northeast of the intersection of Santa Barbara Boulevard and Pine Island Road. Wrensch said Stone, who lived in a different camp behind Roger Dean's Chevrolet on Pine Island Road, frequently visited and took beer, but never shared what he had. "He was greedy," Wrensch said. When Stone pulled a knife out during a dispute, Brown and Wrensch said they left the camp. Stone later told police he beat Louisda with a bar stool, a table leg and a guitar before stabbing him multiple times, according to police spokeswoman Dyan Lee. The homeless men said Stone and Louisda were alone about 20 minutes before Stone appeared covered in blood. He said he killed Louisda, Brown . and Wrensch said. "But when I went to see Dan, he was covered in blood, the ground was colored in blood. It LOUISDA turned my Livedincampon stomach," Pine Island Road Brown said. Brown said Stone threatened to kill anyone who called police. After the men covered Louis-da's body, Wrensch said he fled to a pay phone at the Petro America Convenience Store and called police. When Wrensch returned, Stone fled. Police said they found Stone hiding on Santa Barbara Boule- vard after a four-hour manhunt. Saturday morning, Louisda's sister Cynthia Louisda came to the camp in the hopes of retrieving her brother's belongings. She said her brother lived in the woods for the past three to four years. She took him in for a time, providing him with work as a house painter, but said he always wanted his freedom. "He was just happy out here and just loved it," Cynthia Louisda said. Wrensch recalls first meeting Daniel Louisda in woods south of Pine Island Road. The men set up a camp there before a shopping center was built Years later, Brown said he met Daniel Louisda at the camp behind the Chevron station where he was found dead. The men struggled to earn money through construction jobs, Wrensch and Brown said. But life at the camp was comfortable enough. A worn couch was arranged near a portable television and stereo Saturday. Tarps sheltered Photo gallery: View scenes from what was a homeless camp in the Cape. news-press.comcapecoral Discussion: Start a forum on this topic by becoming a registered member of news-press.com, or you can participate in "story chat" at the bottom of the story. Island Coast I High School t lr-JWahTech Hector Caff erataU& worth . Junior Bementary $ Location of homicide lon Hancock "ride Bridge Pkwy. Cape Coral m mile S THE NEWS-PRESS people -from the heat and sun. On the ground by a broken table was a book of hymns and a Monopoly board, the name "Big Dan" written on it Brown and Wrensch said they aren't welcome at the camp any more. They said they tried returning to the camp Friday, but police pointed their guns at them and took them to Fort Myers, where they stayed on benches at Centennial Park. Police didn't confirm the story. Lee said the city clears out homeless camps as soon as they're discovered. "We've chased them out before and they come back," Lee said of Louisda's camp. Brown and Wrensch said they feel as if they're being punished. "We did the right thing and called police, and now we have nowhere to go," Wrensch said.

Clipped from
  1. News-Press,
  2. 13 Apr 2008, Sun,
  3. Main Edition,
  4. Page 26

ClaytonLewisBoyer Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in